8. May 2012 19:05
May 5, 2012, Microsoft Corporation, New York. Thanks to Melissa Demsak, SQL Architect/Leader NJSQL/ Mentor NJ Women in IT @Sqldivaand Rachel Appel for organizing the Women in Technology NYC Connectevent. Thanks to Avanade and Infragistics for co-sponsoring with Slalom Consulting.
Please find below the talk I delivered, as well as some snapshots of the fascinating talk given by Professor Aronson. We welcome your comments and feedback about the event. And I welcome any resumes you’d like me to review or pass along to our recruiters. We are hiring .NET and Cloud Developers, please reach out directly to Jessica Bogenrief firstname.lastname@example.org.
Saturday, May 5, 2012
8:30AM - 3:30PM
(Required for building entry)
Microsoft NY Metro Office
1290 Avenue of the Americas
Women in Technology NYC Connect
Who should attend: Any technical woman or man in the NYC Metro Area. College students are also strongly encouraged to attend.
8:30am: Registration / Networking / Breakfast sponsored Slalom Consulting (Donuts/Coffee)
9:00am: Gender Stereotyping in Children - Joshua M Aronson, Associate Professor of Applied Psychology, NYU Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development
10:00am: Amplify your Career by Managing your Volume - Asli Bilgin, Practice Area Manager at Slalom Consulting @SlingAlibi
11:00am: Work/Life Balance Discussion – Melissa Demsak, SQL Architect/Leader NJSQL/ Mentor NJ Women in IT @Sqldiva
11:30am-1pm: Lunch sponsored by Avanade and Infragistics
Hacker Room – Hours TBD
Career Room – 3+ recruiters will be available to help you with your resume, give career insight or provide impromptu interviews.
1:00pm: It's Not Just All in Your Head: The Science of Sexism – Rachel Reese @rachelreese
2:00pm: TBD (potential topics on IT Start-Ups, Mentoring, etc)
2:45pm: Panel Discussion
3:30pm: Closing / Raffles
6. March 2012 18:19
The Global Marathon For, By and About Women in Engineering and Technology is taking place this week. “The Global Marathon For, By and About Women in Engineering and Technology kicks off on March 5 with a conversation to engage women and women’s engineering and technology organizations. The intent is not just to encourage young women to seek engineering, math, science and technology careers but to advance women in these careers and provide a support network that will keep them engaged.”
I encourage you to attend. It is not only for women who are looking for entry level jobs, but also for women who are looking to make a career shift into technology and engineering. Plus, a great way to network for new business ideas.
Monday, March 5 – Opening Panel of International WIET Executives and North America Program
Tuesday, March 6 – Latin America Program + Food Panel
Wednesday, March 7 – Middle East/Africa Program + Entrepreneurship Panel
Thursday, March 8 – India Program + Energy Panel (International Women’s Day)
Friday, March 9 – China Program + Water Panel
Saturday, March 10 – UK/Europe Program and Closing Panel of International Women’s Organizations
REGISTER for the Marathon
Follow on FACEBOOK
7. October 2011 23:33
Did you learn how to code by building complicated VBA Macros back in the day? Do you know nearly every Excel shortcut key? Have your spreadsheets grown in popularity to host thousands of users? Do you make a living by writing sophisticated Office code? If you have taken Office Development to the next level, integrating .NET and advanced business logic into your code, then Slalom is the place for you. We are looking for Office development gurus who have mastered the ins and outs of hooking Office application both to streaming real time data as well as historical relational data.
Direct results expected from this role would be:
- § Become a trusted advisor to Fortune 500 companies in NYC, by delivering strategic technical solutions that demonstrate the significant business value on time and on budget
- § Determine the effort involved and provide input into scheduling
- § Design for customers through detailed technical specifications combined with usage scenarios in conjunction with a talented team of software developers
- § Build custom application code using Microsoft Office with custom DLL integration, Sharepoint integration, and relational database connectivity
The ideal candidate will have:
- § Sharepoint 2010 development experience and Excel Services experience. Office 365 experience a benefit.
- § Deep understanding of Excel object model and experience with backend relational database integration. Development experience with the entire Office Suite is preferred.
- § Familiar with creating Office add-ins with the .NET Framework and Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Office
- § History of performing migrations from VBA to .NET, and porting code from 32-bit to 64-bit technology
- § Minimum of 5 years of experience in Enterprise software consulting or product engineering
- § Strong knowledge of Microsoft .NET design and development with proven track record of full life cycle solution delivery
- § Exceptional decision-making, conflict resolution, time management, project estimation and negotiation skills
- § Demonstrated problem solving and debugging skills
- § Ability to learn and grasps concepts quickly in a fast paced environment
- § Results driven; strong analytical skills with exceptional verbal and written communication
- § BS/BA degree, ideally in Computer Science.